It’s important to talk to your child openly about alcohol and being armed with the facts about alcohol and underage drinking will really help to open up the discussion.
The DrinkAware website has a great section all about underage drinking including the associated risks, advice, and the law around drinking and under 18s.
It also helps to understand the most common reasons why children turn to alcohol, such as:
- Peer Pressure – many teenagers drink alcohol to be like their friends
- They copy what you do
- Risky behaviour is higher when they’re going through puberty
- They’re copying an older sibling
- Drinking alcohol is something they see all around them
- They’re struggling with problems, maybe with school, friends or family
- They’re testing the boundaries
- They’ve heard about the pleasurable side of alcohol