Start brushing your baby's teeth as soon as the first milk tooth breaks through (usually at around 6 months, but it can be earlier or later).
It's important to use a fluoride toothpaste, as this helps prevent and control tooth decay.
- Use fluoride toothpaste containing levels of fluoride between 1,350ppm and 1,500ppm to give your children's teeth the best protection.
- Brush teeth twice daily for about 2 minutes.
- Brush last thing at night before bed and on 1 other occasion.
- For children aged 0-3 use only a smear of toothpaste on their brush.
- For children aged 3-6 use a peasize amount of toothpaste on their brush.
- Make sure children don't eat or lick toothpaste from the tube.
- Babies and children should visit the dentist twice a year.