111 medical assistance

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. You can also access 111 online assistance, or read more at NHS - When to use 111.

999 medical emergency

Call 999 if you have a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. Medical emergencies can include:

  • loss of consciousness
  • an acute confused state
  • fits that aren't stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that can't be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

You can read more at NHS - When to use 111.

Accident and emergency department (A&E)

An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident

Less severe injuries can be treated in urgent care centres or minor injuries units. A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment. If your GP is closed you can call 111, which will direct you to the best local service.

Discover more information about finding your nearest A&E department and why you would attend at NHS.uk.

Cheshire Police

For emergencies only call 999

For non-emergencies call 101.

For more information, visit the Cheshire Police Website.

Cheshire Fire and Rescue

For emergencies only call 999.

For more information, visit the Cheshire Fire and Rescue Website.