Button Batteries

Parents / Carers Section

Button batteries are small round, silver batteries found in lots of electrical toys and devices.

If your child swallows a button battery or you think they may have swallowed one, take them to A&E straight away.

As well as being a choking hazard, button batteries can cause internal burns, internal bleeding, and in some cases, even deaths.

They can also cause burns if they're lodged in a child's nose or ear.

Dangers of button batteries to children

Video by Child Accident Prevention Trust

 

Safe use of button batteries - Parental guildance

Video by European Portable Battery Association EPBA

 

In this film, George Asan talks about his daughter Francesca, who died after swallowing a spare button battery.

Video clip by Child Accident Prevention Trust

 

Useful links:

Button Batteries - ROSPA

Button Battery Safety - (CAPT)

Button Battery Safety - (EPBA)

 

Useful Resources:

Button Batteries Leaflet (CAPT) - pdf

Button Batteries Poster (CAPT) - pdf

Button Batteries Factsheet (CAPT) - pdf

Button Batteries Factsheets (CAPT) - Community Languages

 

 Capt        Cheshirewestandchester Logo        Nhs Logo