Button Batteries

Support and Advice

Button batteries are small round, silver batteries found in lots of electrical toys and devices.

If your child swallows a button battery or you think they may have swallowed one, take them to A&E straight away.

As well as being a choking hazard, button batteries can cause internal burns, internal bleeding, and in some cases, even deaths.

They can also cause burns if they're lodged in a child's nose or ear.

Click or touch the image below to view a button battery information sheet.

 Button Batteries


In this film, George Asan talks about his daughter Francesca, who died after swallowing a spare button battery.

Video clip by Child Accident Prevention Trust


Useful links:

Button Batteries - ROSPA

Button Battery Safety - Child Accident and Prevention Trust


 Capt        Cheshirewestandchester Logo        Nhs Logo