Accessing Support

Support and Advice

111 Medical Assistance

NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do. You can also access 111 online assistance



999 Medical Emergency

Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

  • loss of consciousness
  • an acute confused state
  • fits that aren't stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that can't be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma, such as after a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.



Accident and Emergency

An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident

Less severe injuries can be treated in urgent care centres or minor injuries units. A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment.

If your GP is closed you can go to or call 111, which will direct you to the best local service.

Discover more information about finding your nearest A&E department and why you would attend at


Find And Register With A GP Practice

It is important to register yourself with a local GP Practice where you can arrange to see a doctor, a nurse and other healthcare professionals. Discover more about finding and registering with your local GP practice at

A Patients Guide to GP Services


Find A Dentist

You do not have to register with a dentist in the same way as with a GP to receive NHS treatment. Discover more about finding and registering with a dental practice as well as information about what happens when you visit a dentist, at 


Find a Pharmacy

Pharmacists can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses, such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.

If your symptoms suggest it's something more serious, pharmacists have the right training to make sure you get the help you need. For example they will tell you if you need to see a GP. Discover more about finding your local pharmacy at


Find Sexual Health Services

Sexual health services are free and available to everyone, regardless of sex, age, ethnic origin and sexual orientation. Depending on the reason for your visit, you should be able to visit any sexual health clinic – it doesn't have to be one in your local area. But it is best to check before going that they will be able to help you. Discover more about finding your nearest sexual health clinic at


Find An Optician

Our eyes rarely hurt when something is wrong with them, so having regular eye tests is important to help detect potentially harmful conditions.

The NHS recommends that you should get your eyes tested every two years (more often if advised by your ophthalmic practitioner or optometrist).

Discover more about finding your nearest optician and what to expect at your appointment at


Cheshire Police

For emergencies only call 999 
For non-emergencies call 101

Cheshire Police Website


Cheshire Fire And Rescue

For emergencies only call 999 

Cheshire Fire and Rescue Website